8. What online tracking and online advertising techniques do we use?
We use various techniques on our Website (but not currently on our apps) that enable us and third parties brought in by us to recognise certain visitors when they revisit our Website (including over multiple visits). Please refer to this Section for further information.
We want to be able to distinguish between access by you (via your system) and access by other users, and thus ensure the functionality of the Website and be able to carry out analyses and controls. The reason we do so is not to draw conclusions about your identity, not even when we could identify you through a combination with registration data. Even without registration data, however, you are recognised as an individual user each time you access the site, for example by our server (or the servers of third parties) assigning you or your browser a unique identifier (known as a “cookie”).
Cookies and their purpose on our Websites
Cookies are small files that are stored on your device in order to track your visit to the Website and your preferences when you navigate between various pages and sometimes in order to store settings in between your visits. The statistical data collected via cookies help us to make the Website more useful and user-friendly.
- Recording the number and type of visits on the Website and its sub-pages so that we can determine whether and what parts of the Website must be improved;
- Displaying personalised content on this Website (see the personalisation service Adtelligence below);
- Displaying advertisements on third-party websites (remarketing);
- Displaying personalised advertisements and offers;
- Storing of settings in between your visits;
- Collecting statistical data on the number of visitors and their usage habits and to improve the speed and performance of the Website pages.
One of the cookies used primarily essentially serves the purpose of operating parts of the Website and has already been set. Not all parts of this Website will function without this cookie.
Cookies of third parties and partners on our Websites
Third parties may collect anonymised information regarding your use of our and other websites and make such anonymised data available to us, including geographical details, your user behaviour on a website or the names of websites on which you were shown advertisements.
We use this information in order to display more relevant and useful advertisements and to improve the effectiveness of our advertising measures.
You can decide against using cookies at any time by deleting the cookies that were set by the Website and by blocking any other cookies. This is possible using the settings in your Internet browser. However, not all parts of this Website will function without cookies.